Monday 16 April 2018

How to Develop an Entrepreneurial Mindset

In my previous blog, you would have come across the term "Entrepreneurial Mindset".

This article will elaborate on what is an Entrepreneurial Mindset and ways I built mine.

I will begin with a little background about me:

Born to service oriented professionals - my father from government sector and mother a teacher, and family background full of core government sectors and educationalists, my journey as an entrepreneur has not been easy.

The government or Raj concept is predominant in my family.  The motto is to stick with one job for the rest of your life, regardless of how one feels about it.  Even a simple concept of changing jobs when I was employed in the private sector, used to unnerve my parents initially.

So how did I convert from being "just an employee" to an "entrepreneur" now?  Read on.

Before you being your entrepreneurial journey, I strongly believe that you need to first adapt to how an entrepreneur thinks and behaves.  It is similar to adapting with any new culture one relocates to.  Having been exposed to several due to the nature of my father's job during my entire childhood, adapting to a new culture and mindset had become a habit of mine.

Believe me, even with this background, it was never easy to fit in totally.  It used to take a lot of time.  I was an introvert by nature. Gelling or clicking with other children used to take a lot of effort and time.

When I started my career as Business Management Trainee in one of the reputed MNCs in India, I used to have this service oriented mentality.  My behavior was very much similar to most of the people coming from like minded middle class families - get a job and stick to it.

When I started my job, in the year 2010, it was middle of recession and inflation.  I worked really hard.  Though, during my job, I came to realize and discover a lot of things:

  • Having a learner's approach got people to talk to me and share their success secrets
  • People from all walks of life taught me something new everyday
  • Humility and ignorance made paths for me to come out of my comfort zone and try new things to make things work and on my own
  • Planning gave me a start.  Though, without foreseeing probable obstacles forced me to adapt to creative problem solving approach
  • Few of my roles exposed me to interact with other people.  Networking internally got most of my problems and jobs much easier.  Having realized this, I never missed an opportunity for networking more.  
  • This got me addicted to understand and observe the behavior of those around me.

Over a period of time, I came to realize that being an entrepreneur is a way of life.  There were many behavioral changes one undergoes to become a successful profession.  Likewise, an entrepreneur is anyone who braves these changes and accepts challenges life throws at them with a pinch of salt.  There will be plenty of ups and downs in anyone's life.  But having courage, ownership for one's actions, taking control of one's life, determination and a strong will to over come challenges come what may, is the path towards developing an entrepreneur mindset. 



So when people ask me what is an entrepreneur by my definition:

An entrepreneur refers to that person who is willing to accept their differences, tries to make things work differently than others and contributes towards a larger dream and ambition, which is mostly above the "myself" concept.


How do you develop it?  Come out of your comfort zone and play the game your way.  Develop a courage to stand for your opinions and thought process.  Be the person you want to be and the change will automatically happen around you.

It took me more than 5 years to live a life which is more fulfilling, adventurous, self-satisfying, full of new learning and more rewarding. 

As an entrepreneur, I am proud to say that not only have I developed professionally but as a human being as well.


- Article contributed by Entrenador Shruti, a Neuro-Leadership & Business Coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life Lessons through the Kintsugi - A Japanese Art form

Sometime back, on our company's facebook page, I had posted a link about Kintsugi.  I believe a few of you were wondering what that was ...